Joe dev at freedomcircle.net
Sun Aug 20 17:49:34 CEST 2006

Hello again,

I wish to thank everyone who responded to my email.  I've now learned
not to ask open-ended questions :-).   However, to benefit the
community, I'd like to summarize the (unscientific) results.

For web browsing, Firefox is preferred by 7 respondents.  Dillo was
mentioned by one.

In the mail user agent category, Thunderbird received 5 votes, gmail 2,
Sylpheed 2 and Sylpheed-Claws was mentioned as previously used by one
person.

For "office" apps, OpenOffice was chosen by 5 individuals, soffice (I
assume it's OO's cousin) by one, Koffice by one.  Gnumeric was the only
standalone spreadsheet mentioned (3 votes).

The only suggestion for personal finance was MoneyDance but it uses Java
and it's a commercial app.  Hence, the only opensource alternative
appears to be Gnucash (which, like Gnumeric, has many Gnome dependencies).

A multitude of other applications were also mentioned, so I'll only give
the highlights (votes in parentheses, no single-mention items tallied):

File manager:  Thunar (5)
Terminal:  xfce-terminal (3), aterm (2)
Picture editor:  Gimp (3)
Ripper:  Grip (2)
Instant Messenger:  Gaim (2)
Calendar:  Orage (2)
PDF viewer:  Evince (2)

If I have some time, I'll try to add a page to the Xfce wiki.

Best regards,

Joe