What applications do Xfce users use?

Todd Slater dontodd at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 02:14:16 CEST 2006

Hi,

On 8/17/06, Joe <dev at freedomcircle.net> wrote:
> Hi,
<snip>
> Anyway, I chose Firefox as the browser because I was familiar with it.
> Opera is apparently a lighter choice (to be explored).  I also ended up
> choosing Thunderbird although I'm not as happy with it.  I also tried
> Kmail (under KDE) and Evolution (under Gnome).  Kmail was OK but it
> stores messages in single files (and it apparently needs the rest of KDE
> *and* a lengthy C++ build).  Evolution looks like a bloated version of
> Outlook and it needs tons of stuff from Gnome.  It looks like mutt
> (which I used briefly under Solaris) may be an attractive, light, albeit
> non-GUI alternative.

If you like light, you might take a look at Dillo for a browser. I use
it on low-spec machines when possible, resorting to Firefox only when
I encounter something Dillo can't handle.

For email (gui), I always preferred Sylpheed (claws) over Kmail and
Evolution. I eventually dumped all those for Mutt, though, until I
dumped it for gmail.

Both are GTK+ apps, and I don't believe they have any gnome requirements.

http://www.dillo.org
http://sylpheed.good-day.net/en/
http://claws.sylpheed.org/

Best,