What applications do Xfce users use?

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Fri Aug 18 05:45:26 CEST 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 18:32 -0400, Joe wrote:

> I checked goodies.xfce.org/projects/applications but it doesn't have the
> type of applications I'm discussing above.  I also browsed (quickly)
> through the list archives and searched them with Google.  I like the
> Xfce philosophy of "modularity and re-usability" and I would use it even
> when I move to better hardware.  I also like the freedom to choose the
> tools that are best suited to my needs, but I'm starting to think that
> I've jumped from Windows (where most of my choices are decided upon from
> Redmond) to two opposing camps (KDE and Gnome) that also tend to dictate
> my choices.  I'm hoping the Xfce community may convince me otherwise.

	Here's what I use.  No, wait.  First a disclaimer: These are my
preferences but it doesn't mean I am an avid zealot (or even a fan) of
them.  They just mesh with the way I do my stuff.  Ok, now I'll really
list my apps.  These will be listed by functionality with the primary
app first then the backup/secondary app second.

Browser: Firefox, Opera
Mail: Evolution, Thunderbird
Office: Open Office, [tie] ApplixWare and TextMaker
Everything else: Terminal, xterm

	I do all my file management with mc or the command line.  I do most
everything from the command line.  My Xfce desktop usually has 5 or 6
term's open and I bounce around in them.

	And there's my basic setup.  Hope it helps you in your quest.