What applications do Xfce users use?

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Fri Aug 18 17:37:48 CEST 2006

Joe wrote:
> Nick Schermer wrote:
>> Maybe I'm wrong, but this would be a good discussion on the Xfce forums or your
>> distro's forums.... not for the Xfce mailinglists.
>>
> I did visit the Xfce forums first and there's no obvious place for this
> topic.  Community Discussion only has "Themes & Screenshots" and
> "Website & Graphics" and I'm not asking for technical support.  Is this
> not a "users" list?  The mailing list title is "XFCE general discussion
> list".  However, if this is not welcomed, I'll withdraw my question.
> Thanks to the three people who did respond anyway.

I personally think that it's a valid question, especially since it would
demonstrate that Xfce users have a predetermination for picking applications in
a certain category. It has a slight risk of turning into a garden shed
discussion though :)

here's what I use to make a living, and is running on my laptop for both
personal and private stuff:

* aterm's, a bazillion, Terminal just doesn't look as relaxed to my eyes.
* thunderbird + firefox: I need sites to work, and my system has 1gb of ram
* soffice, for those horrible msorifice docs mailed by colleagues
* Thunar, for when `ls` and `cd` don't work that good anymore. I also have
right-click custom actions to merge patches into my git-trees!)
* rdesktop, for those pesky corporate apps (3!) that I can't run under linux :(

and then there's some misc software and games I use less often.

bottom line is that most of my systems memory is used by X+ff+tb (400mb), and
the git operations I need to do to manipulate kernel patches just work so much
better if the system has 500mb memory free so it can cache the entire git tree
in memory, which is 368mb (the entire .git is 600mb!) (the system hardly ever
swaps)

Xfce fits perfectly in there. It does not waste memory, is fast, efficient,
pretty enough and sure gets my work done.

Cheers,

Auke