New xfce user - a couple of questions

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Aug 10 00:27:14 CEST 2006

On 8/9/2006 3:12 PM, Kevin Monceaux wrote:
> Fellow Xfce Enthusiasts,
>
> I recently discovered Xfce when taking FreeBSD for a spin on a test box.
> I've been a KDE user for years but it didn't take me long do decide to
> switch to Xfce.  My main Linux box, which will be transformed into a FreeBSD
> box in the near future, has been switched from KDE to Xfce also.

Cool ^_^.  Just for reference, whenever you have questions about how
something works, it helps us to tell us what version of Xfce you're running.

> Browsing through the message archives I found an answer to my first
> question.  But, since there should be a better option I'll ask the question
> again.  Currently there is no way to truely hide the panel or task bar.  A
> small portion of the panel and/or task bar remains visible when they are
> "hidden."  Would it be unreasonable to request that this be made optional?
> I would prefer that they be completely hidden.  Yes, if they are completely
> hidden I still know where they are and where to move the mouse to access
> them.

Well, even if you do this, there will still have to be a window there to
catch the mouse events, even though the window would be invisible in
this case.  Personally I don't think it's worth it, but that's up to
Jasper...

>  If making this optional is not possible how does one disable the
> panel and taskbar?

Xfce 4.2: pkill xftaskbar4 && pkill xfce4-panel, then quit Xfce and save
your session.

Xfce 4.4: Open the panel preferences and remove all panels.

> When using Alt+Tab, or equivelant shortcut, to "Cycle Windows" is there a
> way to have it display all, or at least more than one, task at a time?

I don't think so (at least not for Xfce 4.2).  I feel like there's a
hidden option in 4.4, though I don't remember.

> Is there a way to tell Terminal to use a specific screen resolution, such as
> 24x80, and maintain that resolution scaling the fonts as necessary if the
> window is resized?  I do alot of work remotely via SSH using the screen
> session manager.  Many programs don't handle changes in screen size very
> well.  I would love to be able to use Terminal in full screen mode instead
> of switching back and forth between text virtual consoles and X.

AFAIK, not possible.  Feel free to file a feature request at
bugzilla.xfce.org, and Benny can decide if he wants to add this.

	-brian