Will using KDE programs use too much system resources?

Andrew Conkling andrew.conkling at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 23:30:41 CEST 2006

On 4/28/06, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is Gaim lighterweight than Kopete? I'll try it then. I thought that
> Gaim was the Gnome equivelent. SO loading it would not be any better
> than Kopete.

Gaim uses GTK+, just like Xfce, so loading it does not introduce a new
library.  (I can't speak for any other that it may use, but all told,
it's likely better on resources in Xfce.)

> As for bluefish, I'd love to use it. Only problem is, that I'm usually
> working on files right on the server. Kate is great in that it stores
> fish:// protocol (SFTP) bookmarks internally, and accesses them as if
> they were local. If bluefish did that, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

I'm fairly sure that gedit 2.14 does this, using gnome-vfs.  Of
course, you may not want to use that since it's GNOME, but I've been
using for about a year in Xfce with good things to say.  (Don't kill
me, Erik.)

Also, having used GNOME on my laptop, I'm fairly sure that if you
connect to a SSH server in Nautilus and open a file therefrom (in
gedit, at least), you're working with it directly on the server.  I
think. ;)

HTH,
Andrew