Bug in subpixel hinting configuration?

Andrew Conkling andrew.conkling at gmail.com
Wed Apr 26 06:33:10 CEST 2006

On 4/25/06, Mateusz Łoskot <mateusz at loskot.net> wrote:
> Joe Klemmer wrote:
> >       Just a side note; you don't need to do all of this rebooting.  Just
> > logging off of Xfce then logging back on will be enough.
>
> Yes, I was almost sure I don't have to reboot. But I was not sure if all
>  fonts/X11 related configuration and cache will refresh. So, I rebooted
> just to be 100% sure :-).

Well, at the very most, anything you change in X (e.g. setting
DisplaySize) will simply require a restart of X.  Since you're on
Ubuntu, any of the following will work:
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart (assuming you are using GDM, of course)
sudo init 3; sudo init 5 (this basically does the same thing)
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace will restart X (a good idea to log out first, as
this is basically like killing a process, i.e. not a clean exit)

That way, you can be sure, but still not have to restart. ;)