How to tell exo where to find "suitable Python interpreter" on FreeBSD?

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 24 12:53:06 CEST 2006

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 09:17:24 +0200, "Benedikt Meurer"
<benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de> said:
> Jud wrote:

> > The python-devel package is installed (Python version 2.5).
>
> Ehm, python-devel? Don't you use one of the lang/python* ports?

It was asking for something more recent than 2.2, and FreeBSD is
sometimes a bit conservative about versions compared to Linux distros.
I was perhaps too enthusiastic about having a recent version.  ;-)

> > I'm guessing the error results from something pretty elementary, and
> > would much appreciate learning what to do from here, or where to find
> > the relevant information.
>
> The AM_PATH_PYTHON() macro fails:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Python.html
> http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/automake/m4/python.m4?rev=1.20&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=automake
>
> This usually means that your python interpreter binary name is not in
> the list of checked binary names (the _AM_PYTHON_INTERPRETER_LIST). You
> can work around this problem by setting the environment variable PYTHON
> to the name of your python interpreter.

Thanks - I look forward to trying Thunar.

Jud