How to tell exo where to find "suitable Python interpreter" on FreeBSD?

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Apr 24 09:17:24 CEST 2006

Jud wrote:
> Downloaded and untar-ed the Thunar and exo tarballs, then running
>
> # ./configure --prefix="/usr/local"
>
> in the exo directory with zsh as shell on FreeBSD -CURRENT results in
> the following:
>
> checking XFCE_MCS_MANAGER_LIBS... -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
> -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lxfcegui4 -lxfce4mcs-manager
> -lxfce4mcs-client -lgtk-x11-2.0 -lgdk-x11-2.0 -lXrandr -lXi
> -lXinerama -latk-1.0 -lgdk_pixbuf-2.0 -lpangocairo-1.0 -lXcursor
> -lXfixes -lcairo -lpangoft2-1.0 -lfontconfig -lfreetype -lz
> -lpango-1.0 -lm -lXrender -lX11 -lXext -lgobject-2.0 -lgmodule-2.0
> -lxfce4util -lglib-2.0 -liconv configure: Checking to see if we can
> build Python bindings checking for a Python interpreter with version
> >= 2.2... none configure: error: no suitable Python interpreter found
>
> The python-devel package is installed (Python version 2.5).

Ehm, python-devel? Don't you use one of the lang/python* ports?

> I'm guessing the error results from something pretty elementary, and
> would much appreciate learning what to do from here, or where to find
> the relevant information.

The AM_PATH_PYTHON() macro fails:

http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/html_node/Python.html
http://sources.redhat.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/automake/m4/python.m4?rev=1.20&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&cvsroot=automake

This usually means that your python interpreter binary name is not in
the list of checked binary names (the _AM_PYTHON_INTERPRETER_LIST). You
can work around this problem by setting the environment variable PYTHON
to the name of your python interpreter.

> Thanks,
> Jud

Benedikt