Xfdesktop's menu such GNOME's menu

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Apr 21 15:00:04 CEST 2006

TrollTux wrote:
> Hello.
> As soon as in portage have appeared ebuild's for the beta-version xfce
> 4.4, and has established it. I am in delight from new opportunities!
> But I always liked speed of work xfce. In comparison with GNOME it
> simply flies.
>
> But in this version I was afflicted with one fact - icons of appendices
> in menu xfdesktop are displayed gradually. I have ceased to use GNOME,
> because such effect is observed in it. What do you think in this
> occasion? Do you have noticed it? My computer - P4 2.8, 1 Gb RAM,
> FX5700 256 mb.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by 'appendicies'.  The icons are
lazy-loaded in that the icons for a particular menu or submenu aren't
loaded until that menu/submenu is popped up.  This saves quite a bit on
startup time for xfdesktop.  (Note that after the icons are loaded once,
they stay loaded, unless the menu needs to be regenerated.)

Both of my machines are considerably slower than yours, and I don't find
the delay very noticeable.

	-brian