Question regarding installing 4.4

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Wed Apr 19 15:02:37 CEST 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 10:51 +0200, Anders Lind wrote:

>  this is the situation, I installed 4.4 with the help of the graphic
>  installer on my Mandrakesystem, I installed it without uninstalling
>  the RPM's that I had for 4.2.3 and now when I try to restart Xfce I
>  still get 4.2.3 when I do an About Xfce, do I need to uninstall the
>  old RPM's to get it to work as 4.4 or is the graphical installers
>  placing the executable files somewhere else?

	I haven't gotten this far yet but I'm going to chime in anyway.  Let's
see if I'm even close.

	The likely cause of this is that the two installations are in different
places.  Unfortunately I am not on my main system and the laptop here
doesn't have xfce installed (yet) but the odds are that the rpms are
installed in /usr/bin while the graphical installer put things
in /usr/local/bin.  Things you can do to check are -

1) run 'which xfwm4' and see what dir it is in
2) run 'echo $PATH' and confirm that /usr/bin is before /usr/local/bin
in your path
3) run 'ls /usr/local/bin/xfwm4' and see if it's in there

If the answer to the above is all "Yes" then one way to work around this
is to change your path so that /usr/local/bin comes before /usr/bin.
This will let you test out 4.4b1 while still keeping your production
install of xfce.

	And that's my $0.06 (adjusted for inflation).

Joe