prefix issue with xffm

Edscott Wilson Garcia edscott at xfce.org
Wed Apr 12 20:43:47 CEST 2006

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006, Foxy wrote:

> I decided to upgrade xffm from svn as I installed it last time a few
> weeks ago. Since my main xfce4 is from Ubuntu Dapper repositories, I
> installed all xffm modules to /usr rather than /usr/local to make sure
> that I have xffm mcs module available in my settings.
>
> However, I ran into a few issues with it. First of all, if I launch xffm
> I've got the following error:
>
>> ** (xffm-iconview:2790): WARNING **: Show stopper: cannot get module
> I tried to copy libxffm-icons.so to /usr/local/lib and was able to
> launch xffm, but it does not see any of its plugins.

It seems you have a mixup with stuff in /usr/local and  /usr. The "Show
stopper" warning will appear when a module cannot be loaded. Make sure you
do a "make uninstall" for all xffm components with the prefix set to
/usr/local before setting prefix to /usr and installing. This would avoid
any mixups.

> Does it mean that everything is statically linked to
/usr/local, and I
> have to install libxffm and plugins there rather then in /usr?

No. libraries should be installed in $prefix/lib, includes in
$prefix/include/xffm, plugins in $prefix/lib/xffm/plugins and binaries in
in $prefix/bin.

regards,