getting back from filemanager

Edscott Wilson Garcia edscott at xfce.org
Wed Apr 12 20:00:53 CEST 2006

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Richard wrote:

> Hi
> I use xfce4 on remote machines,
> normal desktop display when VNC'ng in to it.
> All functions with L,R and middle mouse buttons, think the panel may
> even be there.
>
> But I click on the file manager, I get one black screen and three icons,
> the computer, home, and run,,, useful.
>
> How do I get back from that state of xfce4 to the normal desktop  ??

If the filemanager is xffm, then you should disable the deskview. You can
do that by defining the environment variable XFFM_DISABLE_DESKTOP to
anything. This can be done with your login script or mcs-manager. You can
also change the command to open the filemanager to "xffm-iconview
--no-desktop" to avoid xffm-deskview.

> The only way I've found is to reboot the remote machine , which seems a
> bit OTT

Instead of rebooting, just "killall xffm-deskview"