xfce4-panel broken

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Thu Apr 6 03:26:05 CEST 2006

I've just restarted my panel to see if my newly install scribus-cvs
appeared on it automatically or not (through the Debian menus) only to
find that it dies instantly with an error. The messages are:

** Message: module /usr/lib/xfce4/modules/libxfce4_mime.so successfully
loaded

(xfce4-panel:7900): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type
GtkImage to a GtkEventBox, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkEventBox can
only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type
GtkImage

(xfce4-panel:7900): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_copy: assertion
`pixbuf != NULL' failed

(xfce4-panel:7900): GdkPixbuf-CRITICAL **: gdk_pixbuf_scale_simple:
assertion `src != NULL' failed

(xfce4-panel:7900): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type
GtkImage to a GtkEventBox, but as a GtkBin subclass a GtkEventBox can
only contain one widget at a time; it already contains a widget of type
GtkImage

(xfce4-panel:7900): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_container_remove: assertion
`GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
*** glibc detected *** free(): invalid pointer: 0x08568ac0 ***
Aborted

I am running Debian testing and have just done a few upgrades. From
looking at the dependencies the ones that seem to be most relevant to
this are:

libatk1.0-0 1.10.3-1 -> 1.11.3-1
libglib2.0-0 2.8.6-1 -> 2.10.1-2
libpango1.0-0 1.10.4-1 -> 1.12.0-2
libxml2 2.6.23.dfsg.2-2 -> 2.6.23.dfsg.2-3

Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm using the standard Debian sources (based at ftp.uk.debian.org) for
testing, plus the secure-testing.debian.net updates. In addition to this
I have only added the XFCE4 ones at www.os-works.com and today the
Scribus ones at debian.scribus.net.

I'm off to bed now to come at it with fresh eyes in the morning in the
hope I can spot something odd going on, but in the mean time I thought a
post here wouldn't hurt :)

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com