xfce4 -4.2.3-3 fc5 won't startup on fedora

sean seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 20:14:07 CEST 2006

Kevin Fenzi wrote:

> sean> I've installed xfce on fc5.  X appears to start, and the blue
> sean> fedora bubble logo shows up. There's a panel centered at the
> sean> bottom. Clicking any item on the panel, or even hovering,
> sean> generates a crash box, which regenerates the panel.
>
> I just sent some more suggestions on your post to fedora devel list,
> but will mention a few things here too. :)
>
> sean> Here are the messages from the console:
>
> sean> .............  (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
>
> sean> /usr/bin/startxfce4: X server already running on display :0
> sean> Agent pid 4100 which: no xfce4-session in
> sean> (/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/NX/bin:/root/bin)
>
> sean> (xfce-mcs-manager:4103): libxfce4mcs-CRITICAL **:
> sean> mcs_manager_add_channel_from_file: assertion `filename != NULL
> sean> && strlen (filename) > 0' failed /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc: line
> sean> 106: 4105 Segmentation fault xfwm4 --daemon ** Message: Cannot
> sean> connect to session manager /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc: line 123:
> sean> 4108 Segmentation fault xfcalendar /etc/xdg/xfce4/xinitrc: line
> sean> 123: 4110 Segmentation fault $panel
>
> sean> No errors in Xorg.0.log.
>
> sean> I assume the root cause is the the xfce-mcs-manager error. It
> sean> seems to be looking for something it can't find.
>
> Might be the permssions on your /tmp/.ICE-unix directory being messed
> up?

I'd seen that issue on google, the permissions to drwxrwxrwxt.

> I think the seg faults after that are the more serious issues.

I appear to have fixed the later segfaults :)  It appears yum
groupinstall XFCE does _not_ install xfce4-session. I did that and all
the segfaults went away except the first - xfce-mcs-manager. Now xfce
starts up with the panel bottom centered - as before. Clicking on the
panel makes it disappear, but the crash/restart box does not appear.
Just left with the desktop and the fedora logo, but nothing "clickable"
- right or left.

> See my other email on how to generate a gdb backtrace on them. ;)

OK. Maybe that will give us our clue. I'll reply on fc.devel.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

sean