problems with xfsm-shutdown-helper on solaris

Siposs Attila sipiatti at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 11:10:38 CEST 2005

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:48:49 +0200, Alessio Cervellin
<Alessio.Cervellin at Sun-CS-Italy.COM> wrote:

> I got a XFCE4.2.1 fully working (at least it seems so) on Solaris 11
> Nevada b22 x86 32bit.
> I configured the sudoers to allow users to shutdown/reboot the system,
> and it should be ok because these options are not grayed anymore.
> Anyaway, whether I exit from XFCE by choosing "reboot the computer" or
> "turn off the computer" the behavior is always the same of "quit current
> session": what i get is just a logout from the session and not the
> system poweroff.
> Same problems if I login as root too, so it's not a matter of sudo.
>
> By typing "xfsm-shutdown-helper" as root i get the following error:
>
> XFSM_SUDO_DONE
> FAILED
>
> By typing "echo POWEROFF | xfsm-shutdown-helper" i get the following
> error:
>
> Failed to execute child process "/sbin/shutdown" (No such file)
> Segmentation Fault
>
> So i linked it to the right path:
> ln -s /sbin/shutdown  /usr/sbin/shutdown
>
> But typing again "echo POWEROFF | xfsm-shutdown-helper", i get:
> XFSM_SUDO_DONE FAILED
>
> Of course, the commands "shutdown" or "poweroff" alone work fine.

it works as root only, or as any user?

> Can anyone help?

Have you edited the sudoers file?
you can do it with command visudo as root.

insert this line:
your_user_name     localhost= NOPASSWD: /usr/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper

check the path and correct if necessarry...
"Linux is like a wigwam: no windows, no gates, but apache inside..."
(from HUP)
skype: sipiatti
MSN: sipiatti at gmail.com (chat only by gaim)
ICQ: 234041037 (by gaim)