XFCE4 Session Manager: enabling shutdown/reboot option

Erik Harrison erikharrison at xfce.org
Sat Sep 10 05:21:32 CEST 2005

On 9/9/05, Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman at mindspring.com> wrote:
> The documentation on getting the session manager to offer shutdown and
> reboot options is incorrect (in its Debian version anyway).  It says to
> put
>
> myuser myhost=/usr/local/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper
>
> in the /etc/sudoers file.  In fact, what you need is
>
> myuser myhost=NOPASSWD:/usr/local/libexec/xfsm-shutdown-helper
>
> in that file, where "/usr/local/libexec" should be replaced with the
> directory wherein resides xfsm-shutdown-helper.  So, as root, do a 'which
> xfsm-shutdown-helper' to find its path, and then 'visudo' to add the above
> line (substituting myuser and myhost as appropriate, of course).
>
> I seem to remember a discussion about this here a while ago but I wasn't
> using the session manager back then and so didn't pay much attention to
> it.
>
> You also need to modify your .xsession file to use the session manager (on
> Debian; on others, it might be your .xinitrc file).  Mine looks
> approximately like this:
>
> /usr/bin/xfce-mcs-manager
> /usr/bin/xfwm4 --daemon
> /usr/bin/xftaskbar4 &
> /usr/bin/xfdesktop &
> xscreensaver &
> exec /usr/bin/xfce4-session

Don't do this. It wastes the session manager.

All of the apps you startup here can be restarted by the session
manager automatically, and if you want to change which component
starts automatically on login, you have to edit .xsession

Log in, and then kill everything prior to starting the session manager
from .xsession. Then log out WHILE SAVING YOUR SESSION. Then log back
in

Everything should be fine. You can readd to the top of .xsession
anything you need started prior to the desktop being initialized (like
a dbus session).

The .xinitrc shipped with Xfce should really take care of all of this for you

> Hope that's helpful to someone.
>
> Patrick

"This brings me back to a time where I had no worries.
All I needed to do was watch Perfect Strangers."
-Erik