Xinerama and multiple desktops

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Tue Oct 25 20:13:29 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-25 at 19:19 +0200, Alexandre Aractingi wrote:
> Sorry for the sparse problem description, and I didn't mean to start an
> off-topic thread.
> My X is actually configured to support both displays (xorg.conf shows a
> 'screen2' section and a 'xinerama' option) and X is started with the
> "+xinerama" switch. I was wondering what to do next, since it seems to
> be the windows manager's job to place windows on either screen and I
> can't find where to tell xfwm to do that.
> Again, sorry if this the wrong place to ask - I am still under the
> impression that it isn't though.
> Thanks for any help and for your time!

You don't have anything special to do. If Xinerama is properly
configured, you should be able to drag windows from one screen to
another, windows should not appear in between, maximization should not
be larger than the physical screen, etc.

As for where the windows appear, well, it's based on which screen the
mouse pointer resides (well, as longs as the WM can't read user's mind,
xfwm4 considers the active screen the one where the mouse pointer
resides :)

HTH
Olivier.