Changing root window manually doesn't work

Henry Griggs xfce at hgriggs.com
Mon Oct 24 22:52:41 CEST 2005

I've just starting using xfce, so I'm probably asking a dumb question
that everyone has heard a hundred times, but I have to ask it.

I use cron to change the root window to a random photograph every few
windows. I use xv to do the change, "xv -root -rmode 5 -quit
photofilename.jpg". It works fine on my previous window manager, fvwm2,
but it doesn't work with xfce. Yet when I exit xfce, the photo is there.

It seems like some component of xfce is holding and display a pseudo
root window, and when xfce exits, the real root window is displayed.

How can I display my photos on the pseudo root window of xfce using
cron? Is there some other program like xv that I should be using? Is it
possible?

Thanks

Henry
*****