XFCE4 interaction with VNC

James Tappin james at tappin.me.uk
Wed Oct 5 11:08:53 CEST 2005

On Monday 03 October 2005 18:08, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
OF> On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 16:03 +0200, Alexander Toresson wrote:
OF> >
OF> > I've got xfce4 working on vnc, though I ain't using the session
OF> > manager with it. I just start all other parts of xfce manually.
OF> >
OF>
OF> You need to unset SESSION_MANAGER in the VNC session startup otherwise
OF> you apps connect to the host session...
OF>
OF> Xfce works perfectly with VNC.
OF>
OF> HTH
OF> Olivier.

Problem solved, thanks to those who posted suggestions. It turns out the real
problem is that Debian have reconfigured vncserver to always do what is
in /etc/X11/Xsession even if ~/.vnc/xstartup exists. The real solution is to
add:
$vncStartup = "~/.vnc/xstartup";

to ~/.vnvrc, then xfce4 starts and runs as it should.

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james at tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering