Introduction + PS1 issue with XFCE Terminal app

Bob Snyder bob.snyder at cox.net
Sat Nov 12 20:29:15 CET 2005

Benedikt Meurer wrote:

>Niki Kovacs wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm an Austrian writer living in Montpezat (South France), and I just decided to
>>switch from KDE to XFCE. I'm a die-hard Slackware user since 2001.
>>
>>Since a terminal emulator is the app I use the most, I downloaded, compiled and
>>installed Terminal from os-cillation.de, as well as its dependencies (dbus, vte
>>and libexo).
>>
>>The app seems to run fine, but there's one thing that annoys me. The PS1
>>variable isn't read correctly. I have a colored shell prompt, defined as
>>follows in a personalized .bashrc:
>>
>>VERT='\[\033[0;32m\]'
>>BLANC='\[\033[1;37m\]'
>>MARRON='\[\033[0;33m\]'
>>NC='\[\033[0;m\]'
>>
>>PS1="$VERT[$BLANC\u$NC@$BLANC\h$NC:$BLANC\w$VERT] \$ $NC"
>>
>>It seems that Terminal has troubles displaying the colors, and I'd say
>>especially the NC variable above is giving it a hard time. BTW, colors are the
>>only thing displayed incorrectly. If I leave them out, my prompt is OK.
>>
>>Anyone has a suggestion here?
>>

>There's a small typo in the NC assignment:
>
>NC='\[\033[0m\]'
>

>>Cheers,
>>Niki Kovacs
>>

>HTH,
>Benedikt

Did Benedikt's suggestion help?

When I try your command, with and without the suggestion, I get what
looks like the correct results:

green "[", bold white user name, default color "@", bold white hostname,
default color ":", bold white working directory, green "]", space, "$",
space, and then back to default color.

Is this not what you want?

Bob S.