Menus

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 00:30:55 CET 2005

On 11/8/05, chris dunn <chris at dunnz.org> wrote:
> Erik Harrison wrote:
>
> > On 11/8/05, chris dunn <chris at dunnz.org> wrote:
>
> >>But why do smeg and xfce 4 menu-editor not pick up the same menu
> >>listings as the desktop menu. Particularly the xfce menu-editor which I
> >>would have thought was geared up to read the xfce desktop menu.
>
> > I'm not sure what smeg is - so I'm not sure there.
>
> Smeg is another menu editor which seems to have zero documentation.
>
> > As for the menu editor, what differences are you seeing? Remember, the
> > "System" menu is a magic include - it's contents don't show up in the
> > editor because they are generated on the fly
>
> I see :
>
> ... include ...         system

System is magic, like I said. It's not a file anywhere, it's created
on the fly (technically from a cache) whenever you pull the menu up.

> which seems to match what you are saying, and under Debian,
>
> ... include ...         menudefs.hook

That's probably a real file. Not sure where it is though, since it's
Debian specific.

> If xfce 4 menu-editor was able to indicate the location of the files
> indicated against "... include ..." it would surely be a large step forward.
>
> Thanks again for your input.
>

> Chris Dunn

Erik

"If Beethoven had been killed in a plane crash at the age of 22, it
would have changed the history of music... and of aviation."