xfsm-shutdown-helper sudo error messages

J. Lewis Muir jlmuir at anl.gov
Tue May 24 01:35:28 CEST 2005

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> J. Lewis Muir wrote:
>

>>Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>>

>>J. Lewis Muir wrote:
>>

>>>I don't want to allow users to shutdown or reboot the computer
>>>when they log out of their desktop session.
>>
>>>By default, the radio buttons on the logout dialog box are grayed
>>>out -- this is the behavior I want. But every time a user logs
>>>out I get a syslog entry from sudo saying "command not allowed"
>>>where the command is a full path to xfsm-shutdown-helper.
>>

>>I believe this is normal. xfce4-session runs this (using sudo) to
>>check to see if it should enable the shutdown/reboot radio items.
>>

>>>So my guess is that Xfce is invoking this command via sudo. I
>>>don't want to add an entry for this to my sudoers file; I don't
>>>want to allow users to shutdown or reboot the computer.
>>

>>Sure, then don't. Why do you think you need to?
>>

>>>I don't want to see the sudo errors in my security log.
>

> Unfortunately, the author of xfce4-session is currently MIA, and I
> (and likely the rest of the Xfce devs) don't have the time to get
> ourselves up to speed on the xfce4-session codebase.  If it were a
> major problem or a security hole, I'd see cause for concern, but "it
> annoys me" doesn't really make me care enough to want to try to modify
> the behavior here.  If you just can't live with it in there, you can
> recompile xfce4-session passing --with-shutdown-style=none to
> configure.  I *think* that'll make it stop doing anything along those
> lines, but I really don't know.

OK, thanks.

And for clarity, I didn't mean it as an "it annoys me". It's really
along the lines of, if I have a bunch of false-positive sudo entries in
my logs then I will tend to start ignoring all of the sudo entries.

I was just hoping there was a quick way to get it to stop doing it.

But really if there's nothing to easily help this in the Xfce side of
things, I could modify the log watching software to ignore the sudo
entries for the xfsm-shutdown-helper. I just didn't want to have to go
this route if there was a simple way in the Xfce side of things.

Thanks for a great desktop environment!

-lewis