More Serious Problems with 4.2.x

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed May 18 03:15:19 CEST 2005

On 5/17/05, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 May 2005, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
> >   Now, since you're firing on all cylinders, what's the secret to get xmodmap
> > to read ~/.Xmodmap on startup? I saw nothing in the FAQ about that.
>
>    I just fixed the taskbar on the workstation and confirmed that xmodmap is
> not being run on that machine, either. Does this have anything to do with
> xfce4-sessions running now?
>
>    Here's another strange thing. On the workstation, pressing the "quit"
> button on the panel brings up the confirmation dialog box; on the notebook
> there is no confirmation. It just kills X. I went looking for something in
> the workstation's setup so I could exit without confirming, but I didn't see
> where I can control this. A clue stick would be very helpful.

Sounds like the session manager isn't running. The session manager
creates the confirm dialog, if the panel can't find out what the
session manager is, it just quits. Depending on local configuration,
this causes X to quit.

I being to wonder if the xinitrc that is being executed is the one you
think is being executed.

> Thanks,
>
> Rich
>
> --
> Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
> Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
> <http://www.appl-ecosys.com>   Voice: 503-667-4517   Fax: 503-667-8863

CAPS LOCK: ITS LIKE THE CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME
-Erik