xfce on pentium1?

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Mon May 16 17:08:36 CEST 2005

Kristoffer wrote:

>On Mon, 16 May 2005 13:13:41 +0200, W. Lichtenberger <wowowolf at web.de>
>wrote:
>

>>>of course. The question is rather: would it work AND be usable? that
>>>depends on a lot more factors like memory size, and your personal
>>>demands of which components you wish to run.
>>>

>>My experience with a P1-233MHz and 32MB RAM in an old Toshiba Tecra
>>540CDT:
>>XFCE 4.2 works good 8^)
>>

>you could also try tiny-linux(http://www.selenic.com/tiny-about/) to
>compile your kernel with and rox is also a great DE(well, depends on
>what you define a DE should have, but CAN be pretty well-featured
>(and LIGHT, which is the point) if you download some plugins :)
>
>(see the developers sites too as not all extra apps is listed in the
>wiki under apps i think..)
>
>you could always mix-match rox,xfce,etc,etc...
>
>sorry for going "offtopic"?

that's okay, this is IMO actually on-topic. One of the design goals of
xfce is to keep it componentized, so you can choose not to run certain
components on places where you don't want them. In Xfce's case, you
could run the panel, but not the session manager. perhaps also without
xfdesktop (replaced by rox/idesk)... etc.

sofar