borderless window?

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Sun May 15 21:33:08 CEST 2005

On 5/15/05, Kristoffer <kfs1 at online.no> wrote:
> On Sat, 14 May 2005 19:55:55 +0200, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Then Alt+F11 (toggle fullscreen)  should do the trick...
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Olivier.
> >
> > On Sat, 2005-05-14 at 16:29 +0200, Kristoffer wrote:
> >> On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:06:29 +0200, Stefan Stuhr
> >> <xfceuserslist at sstuhr.dk>

> >> which
> >> minimize
> >> which it

> >> uhh, yeah, but i really only *NEED* without left border to make opera
> >> more
> >> easier usable..

> not really.. i DO need the stuff that's being left out when i [F11] opera
> and changing opera to include all that in full-screen is really a "hack"
> instead of fixing the problem that got it that way...
>
> if you really, absolutely, have to see for yourself i sugges you download
> opera, which is an excellent browser, and see for yourself :)

Opera won't run on this machine. No Qt.

However, here is the deal, yo. Removing window borders when maximizing
and app has been discussed to death, and won't likely be done. See the
list archives for details. This is why it "works" in Gnome and not in
Xfwm4.

Removing just one border of a theme is not possible, I believe. You
could make a feature request, but it seems unlikely.

A possible solution is to run a WM with the behaviour you like. You
can run Metacity, which works, as you note, or if the dependencies are
too much, blackbox at least also has this behaviour. Xfce is designed
to be very modular, and allow this kind of mix and match,

Olivier, since this is an oft requested feature, just off the top of
my head, does it add signifigant complexity to make the "Window Border
disappear on maximize" a per theme feature? That may be an awful idea,
it  just came to me.

> --

CAPS LOCK: ITS LIKE THE CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME
-Erik