Are global panel contents possible?

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Sun May 15 01:20:44 CEST 2005

On 5/14/05, Stephen Hurd <shurd at sasktel.net> wrote:
> Unfortunately, I want some that are merged... for example, I would like
> to be able to have the web browser and email launchers as items that
> cannot be deleted/modified/etc, but allow them to customize the rest of
> the panel (ie: Add the weather thinger, add launchers for their own
> stuff etc).  Also, if I decide to switch from (say) Mozilla to Firefox
> as the web browser, I would like to be able to diddle one file and have
> it change the launcher for ALL users etc.
>
> Without any real thought on the matter, loading the users contents.xml,
> then loading the global config overwriting/adding vales would be ideal.

This isn't possible, and isn't planned, that I know of. You could try
dropping a request to extend the existing kiosk functionality to do
this, but it seems unlikely to be added to me.

What you can do currently is:

#Modify the default panel, but users can add and remove any plugin

#Set the panel up in kiosk mode and modifiy the default, but users
can't add or remove any plugins

> Brett I. Holcomb wrote:
>
> >You might check the /etc/xfce4 directory.  I believe they are used if the
> >user doesn't have anything in his ~/.config directory.
> >
> >On Sat, 14 May 2005, Stephen Hurd wrote:
> >

> >>I'm looking for a way to easily add a small set of required panel items
> >>to *all* XFce users on a system.  Ideally, it would just be a separate
> >>contents.xml that is merged with the users one (And, of course, items in
> >>it could not be removed/modified)
> >>
> >>Does such a thing already exist?  Is it vaguely possible?

CAPS LOCK: ITS LIKE THE CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME
-Erik