modem lights??

Andreas J. Guelzow aguelzow at taliesin.ca
Thu May 12 19:09:39 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-05 at 22:51 +0800, Gavin Chester wrote:
> I used to use wvdial from the command line under Xfce, but switched to
> to Kppp because of some niggling config problems with wvdial.  I had
> been using Kppp under KDE before I came to see the benefits of Xfce :-).
>
> Anyway, after going through the logon dialogs Kppp docks on the system
> tray of the panel with two nice flashing inbound/outbound modem lights
> you are asking for.  Plus, if I right click on the icon/lights combo I
> get the Kppp option of seeing a popup with a graph of traffic, IP
> address, etc, etc - and the chance to terminate or restore the dialup
> session.  I don't know how many files from the KDE libs you need to make
> it run, but maybe worth a shot to check it out?

Thanks. That's what I was looking for, but I suspect that kppp will need
many more libraries than I am willing to add for something that should
be pretty simple.

I have pretty much decided to spend a few days next week to try to write
a small xcfe-modem-lights applet. It should not be to hard considering
both the code for the gnome-modem-lights and the xfce-trigger-launcher
is available.

Thanks

Andreas
--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences