modem lights??

Gavin Chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Thu May 12 16:51:44 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 07:11 -0600, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-12-05 at 13:36 +0300, Amichai Teumim wrote:
> > I use netload. it should be an option when right clicking on the panel.
> > it monitors all in-out activity of eth0 or whatever device you specify.
>
> Thank you.
>
> I have tried netload and it shows me nicely the amount of current
> traffic (on ppp0 in my case), but it doesn't provide for an option to
> raise or lower that connection.
>
> Andreas

I was going to chip in earlier but didn't think that my answer had
relevance.  Now I see it might ...

I used to use wvdial from the command line under Xfce, but switched to
to Kppp because of some niggling config problems with wvdial.  I had
been using Kppp under KDE before I came to see the benefits of Xfce :-).

Anyway, after going through the logon dialogs Kppp docks on the system
tray of the panel with two nice flashing inbound/outbound modem lights
you are asking for.  Plus, if I right click on the icon/lights combo I
get the Kppp option of seeing a popup with a graph of traffic, IP
address, etc, etc - and the chance to terminate or restore the dialup
session.  I don't know how many files from the KDE libs you need to make
it run, but maybe worth a shot to check it out?

Regards, Gavin