Problem loading Xfce-4.2.0 on Slackware-10.1

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed May 4 21:57:21 CEST 2005

On Wed, 4 May 2005, Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> g_option_context_new() is in glib since version 2.6 while xfce 4.2 is
> targeted at gtk+-2.2.

Olivier,

   OK. But, it should work with gblib-2.6.x. On this box (running
Slackware-10.0 and xfce-4.0.6), glib2-2.6.0 and gtk+2-2.4.10 are installed.
On the newly-upgraded box, glib2-2.6.1 and gtk+2-2.6.1 are installed.

> Since the relocation error occurs in gtk while the symbol is defined in
> glib, I think your problem is that you have a mismatch between the gtk
> version and the glib version installed on your system, but I don't think
> it's an error from Xfce.

   Now you've gotten me quite confused. :-) This box (xfce-4.0.6) has the
mis-match between glib2 and gtk+2 versions, but it works. The other box
(xfce-4.2.1) has no mis-match with glib2 and gtk+2, yet doesn't work.

   Have you any suggestions on resolving this conundrum? Should I build xfce
from source so it links with the libraries (-2.6.1) installed on that box?

   The only problems I've had with xfce upgrades over the years have been
mis-matched glib and gtk+ libraries and with X.org wanting to see "keyboard"
with a lowercase 'k' instead of the default 'K'. (But, now it's "kbd" instead
of the spelled-out word. Shrug.)

Thanks,

Rich

--