Xfmedia 0.7.1 ("Brian is Dumb") released

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Mar 18 19:52:35 CET 2005

Kai Raven wrote:

>Hi Brian,
>
>On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 01:00:03 -0800 you wrote:
>

>>I just uploaded Xfmedia 0.7.1 to
>>http://spuriousinterrupt.org/projects/xfmedia/files/
>>

>I have just compiled xfmedia 0.7.1, xine-lib from freshrpms (1.0 final) and
>libexo 0.3.0 under Fedora Core 3. d-bus 0.23 was installed.
>xfmedia is running fine, i can select sound files and i can see avi or mpg
>movies, but i can't hear any sound.
>I see, that a config file was created under ~/.xine. Do you have a hint, what i
>have to do to get sound with xfmedia, must i change something in the config file
>or something else? (I haven't used xine or any xine based application before,
>only mplayer and xmms).

The correct sound output should be detected automatically, but the
detection is sometimes off in some circumstances.  Check 'xfmedia
--help'.  Try explicitly giving it 'alsa' or 'oss' for the audio driver
option.  You can try 'esd' also (or is that 'esound'?), but that's not
recommended as there's no way to reliably sync audio and video.  There
are a couple other choices, but that's all I can think of for now.
After you use the cmdline option once, it'll remember what you selected
for next time.  There'll be a GUI way of picking output plugins in the
next release.  If that still doesn't work, try running with 'xfmedia
--debug': that turns the xine engine's verbosity level all the way up,
and it might print out something useful that'll tell you what's up.

    -b