How fast is Xfce's composite manager?

Sami Samhuri sami at no-eff-eks.com
Wed Mar 16 18:55:44 CET 2005

* On Wed Mar-16-2005 at 05:27:58 PM +0100, Alexander Toresson said:
> I've heard Xfce's composite manager should be quite faster than
> xorg's xcompmgr. However, it's not compiled into the packages I got
> from os-cillation.de.
>
> I'm on a p2 300 with 64 mb ram, which hasn't got any 3d card.
> Is it worth installing xfce4 with the graphical installer to test
> it out, or will it just be too slow? Xcompmgr ran at less than
> 1 fps.

Considering I'm on an AthlonXP @ ~2GHz, 512M and /without/ using my
NVidia card's RenderAccel even xfwm4's composite manager is slow, I'd
say you're out of luck.

It's nifty to have it on, I ran that way for a long time, but I always
end up disable the Composite extension in the end because (as everyone
says) it's still experimental.

--
Sami Samhuri