Some thoughts about XFCE

David Wiedemann d_widi at datacomm.ch
Sat Mar 5 00:39:33 CET 2005

Hi

I love XFCE very much and thats also the reason, I use it (And advise
everybody else to use it ;-) ). The version 4.2 is just great and its
installation (with the graphical installer) went great. Some thoughts
and suggestions:

- XFFM: I don't work with it for now. What I miss is the feature, that I
can act with it as with MS Explorer: What I choose on the left side is
what I see on the right side. Before anybody is shouting about why, and
the concept is different and so on: I just miss a small checkbox
somewhere, which sticks those two side together (mainmenu - options -
preferences: An additional entry) - everybody can work as he/she likes :-)

- Icons on the background and additional features: Please keep XFCE
small, handy and fast. There is already a speed decrease from version
4.0.6 to 4.2 - especially on startup (PIII system).
I like XFCE especially on very old systems (Pmmx) for some special
functionalities like firewalls or webservers, where you don't need
necessarely a fast computer. But with XFCE, you have a graphical
iknterface, which is just great and still fast.
-> About Icons on the desktop: Why not work closer with the ROX project
and include it for example as goodie? Whith their pinboard, I can work
great!

Please, please, be carefull, what you include. It would be sad, if XFCE
gets same big giant block and slow as gnome or KDE - just five years
behind their time...

Thanks to all the developpers for their hard and great work!
David