This is why Xfce was dropped from Fedora Core 4

Dan Gordon dgordon8 at cogeco.ca
Thu Mar 3 20:58:48 CET 2005

On March 3, 2005 02:22 pm, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Jeff Franks wrote:
> > Thought you all might interested in this,
> >
> > I've just finished reading all the releative postings on
> > <fedora-devel-list at redhat.com> regarding the removal of Xfce from
> > FC4. Most packages removed because they were not maintained or
>
> [snip]
>
> > - XFCE: duplicate functionality with respect to GNOME, KDE, etc
>
> On the other hand, nice to see someone standing up for us:
>
> "The xfce packages are actively maintained, they are straightforward
> to mesh with a switchdesk environment, and frankly they are the
> opposite of the bloat which more flashy WM's induce, in many ways."
>
> (https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2005-February/msg
>01319.html)
>
> Ah well.  This is a damned shame, but I don't think jumping in and
> trying to advocate a reversal would be too useful at this time.  The
> best thing to do is (and this is why I've cc:ed xfce at xfce.org), if
> you care enough about this, don't download or upgrade to FC4 when it
> comes out.  If Xfce users want to send a short note to someone
> (who?) to explain why they've decided to switch from FC to something
>
> It's unfortunate that we've been dropped from the core of one of the
> major desktop distros, but we'll live...

That is a shame and is one of the reasons i went from Redhat9 to
Mandrake,  I did not like the way they just dropped stuff.  I had more
broken apps in Redhat 9 then in any other distro, even apps that were
supposed to work were broken so i found a distro that at least would
listen when something did not work.  I hope for there sake they give
it some more consideration cause XFCE is something that is a contender
for the linux desktop IE: KDE, Gnome, XFCE (at least in my opinion)
and it just keeps getting better.

Regards,
Dan Gordon
--
Thu Mar  3 14:44:29 EST 2005
 14:44:29 up  1:45,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.02

		WE CAN HELP!

Call (511) 338-0959 for an immediate appointment.