What is the build order of Xfce 4.2.2 from source?

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Mon Jun 27 07:55:51 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-26 at 15:37 -0700, Brett wrote:
> Unfortunately the installer does not work on my system. Gives an error
> about not finding a font (don't remember which one). I also read that
> others were having trouble uninstalling xfce with this which I rather not
> deal with. I find it much better to make my own rpms from the sources but
> again my question is:
> What is the build order? Not all of the sources are as the online docs
> say. I just want to build it myself. Anyone.

If the installer doesn't work, then there is a good chance that you're
missing the required base libraries and Xfce won't work either.

This said, here is the build order I use (not everything is required):

- dbh
- gtk-xfce-engine
- libxfce4util
- libxfcegui4
- libxfce4mcs
- xfce-mcs-manager
- xfce-mcs-plugins
- xfce-utils
- xfcalendar
- xfdesktop
- xfce4-panel
- xfce4-iconbox
- xffm
- xfprint
- xfwm4
- xfce4-mixer
- xfce4-appfinder
- xfce4-toys
- xfce4-systray
- xfce4-trigger-launcher
- xfwm4-themes
- xfce4-icon-theme
- xfce4-session

Make sure you meet the requirements listed here:

http://www.xfce.org/index.php?page=documentation&lang=en

At last, if you have any worry on how to deinstall Xfce later, just
install it in some separate directory and remove the directory once you
want to remove Xfce (assuming you know how to deal with PATH and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH)

HTH
Olivier.