firefox tab support in Terminal-0.2.4

Matt Thompson thompsma at jilau1.colorado.edu
Fri Jun 24 03:37:36 CEST 2005

Qiangning Hong wrote:
> xfce terminal 0.2.4 can directly open an URL displayed in console window
> using preset web browser, inclding mozilla firefox.  However, each time
> I open an URL, a seperate firefox window is launched.  Can the URL be
> loaded just in a new tab if a firefox window is already running?

You can do this via a script.  Make an executable script in
/usr/local/bin or ~/bin called moznewtab:

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/firefox -remote "openURL($@, new-tab)" || exec /usr/bin/firefox
"$@";

(those last "two" lines are all one if the wrapping get it).

Then, to use this, simply refer all calls that used to go to firefox to
moznewtab (like "moznewtab %s").  I'm on a WinXP box right now, so I
can't really recall, but I think you do this in Terminal itself.  For
Evolution or the like, you need to redefine the http/https handlers.

Hope this works,
Matt
--
Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram
    Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/