Restarting XFCE desktop after a Gnome app changes it

John Shane jslists at mtwafrica.org
Sun Jun 19 01:15:46 CEST 2005

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 10:22:37 -0700
"Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> It's been in my FAQ for about 6 months now, but the question still
> appears here every couple weeks...
>
> http://spuriousinterrupt.org/projects/xfce4/#faq
>
> I think it's one of the last questions.
>
> 	-brian

Fair enough Brian.  The answer is indeed on your web site, but even having
read your message it still didn't come up when I went googling for it
just to see if I could find it that way. (Actually I'd never been to your
site before but am glad to know about it now.)  If it's a regular question
then maybe it would be a good idea to put something in the FAQ on the main
XFCE web site or in the help documentation.  Not a complaint, just a
thought.

Also, I didn't have the original problem from running Nautilus.  At least
that wasn't the icon label of the program I tried but it must have been
part of the package.  After installing XFCE the new automatically
generated menu turned up all sorts of things I didn't realize were on my
system. One of them was an entry that only said "computer"  It turned out
to be the Gnome "My Computer" program that aparently also runs Nautilus
and does the desktop trick. (I've now taken your advice and edited the
Gnome-config settings to turn that off in Nautilus should it ever be run
again in the future. That was a good tip.)

XFCE is a great system.  All of you who have made it possible for the rest
of us have done a great job. Many thanks.  John