Restarting XFCE desktop after a Gnome app changes it

John Shane jslists at mtwafrica.org
Fri Jun 17 12:49:07 CEST 2005

How do I restart the xfce desktop after a Gnome application has taken
over?

I've been poking around looking at some Gnome apps and discover
that sometimes they reset the desktop.  The only way I've been able to get
the xfce desktop back is to quit xfce and log back in.  I tried to run
xfdesktop (with and without &) from a terminal but it doesn't persist.  As
soon as I close the terminal the Gnome desktop comes back.  I also tried
"xfdesktop -reload" but again, as soon as I close the terminal the Gnome
desktop reaserts itself.

My apologies if the answer is in the manual.  I read the section on the
desktop manager again and that's where I got the -reload idea.  Thanks for
your help.  John