Sound settings - "device"

John Shane jslists at mtwafrica.org
Wed Jun 15 17:39:55 CEST 2005

Hi all, I have recenly done a fresh install of SuSE 9.3 on my ThinkPad X30
and upgraded to XFCE 4.2.2.  Before I was using RH 9 with XFCE 4.2.

One of the wrinkles I am working on is getting sound working.  In the
process of looking into various things I opened the sound settings menu in
XFCE and saw that the "Device" setting was "default".  If I click on the
setting the drop down menu offers "#0: Intel 82801CA-ICH3" which is
the correct sound controller.  But when I choose that setting and close the
menu it returns to "default." Now that might not be an issue of any
consequence, but why does the setting not stick with what I chose?  And
does this behaviour shed any light on the bigger problem of no sound?

On the Linux on ThinkPads list there has been a pointer about turning off
headphone and line jack in order to get sound working but that hasnk't
made a difference in my case.  At this point I'm just wondering about the
XFCE Mixer/Sound settings menu.

Thanks for any ideas you might have.  John