Now I'm even more confused about saved sessions

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Wed Jun 8 10:00:01 CEST 2005

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 03:45:26PM -0700, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:

> >     When I start up xfce again I end up in Workspace 3 rather than
> >     Workspace 1, even though I saved the session when I was on
> >     Workspace 1.
>
> Not sure.

It seems to be a bit random, sometimes I get the right workplace,
sometimes not.  I'll see if it settles down.

> >     Firefox doesn't restart though all the other applications on the
> >     saved session do restart.
>
> Firefox doesn't support session management properly.  It's unfortunate;
> bug the folks at mozilla.org.

So how does it remember (xfce or firefox) where it started last time
as whenever I restart firefox now it starts on the right workplace and
position.  Thus I *can* get the result I want simply by putting
firefox back into my $HOME/Desktop/Autostart/default file.

> >     When I manually start firefox it starts up in its last saved
> >     position but when I start other applications (including ones that
> >     have been saved by the session manager) they start up in
> >     essentially random positions on the current window.
>
> IIRC, this saving of positions is only done as a part of the session,
> and only gets restored when the application is restored when the session
> starts.  Just starting the application normally isn't going to restore
> the last position.  It's up to the application to remember its last
> position if it wants to.

Well somehow firefox *is* remembering the workspace it started on.

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."