How to specify workspace when starting a program?

John Shane jslists at mtwafrica.org
Fri Jun 3 18:43:47 CEST 2005

On Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:16:58 +0100
Chris Green <chris at areti.co.uk> wrote:

> It's a very complicated way of doing something trivial isn't it?

Probably, but it's what I found to do the job and once it's set up it's no
big deal.

> Also can it start a number of rxvt windows (for example) in different
> places?  That's my main requirement, I want three rxvt windows in
> workspace 1, and one in workspace three.

I suspect that it depends on whether the rxvt windows have distinct names.
If so then you can probably do that with devilspie.  You'll see that when
you look over the xml file.

> It used to be possible simply to specify on the command line when you
> started a program, i.e. in CDE:-
>
>     rxvt -e "xrm *workspaceList: ws2"
>
> would start an rxvt in workspace 2.

I recall something about that a while back on the list but will have to
leave it to someone who knows what they're talking about.

> I will try devilspie out though, it might be what I want.  I think XML
> is horrible though.

You will likely add the devilspie config file to your list of "horrible
enough" files.  Flurbs?  Give me a break. ;-)

John