How to specify workspace when starting a program?

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Fri Jun 3 17:16:58 CEST 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 05:10:07PM +0200, John Shane wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 19:39:11 +0100
> Chris Green <chris at areti.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > How does one specify a workspace when running a program so that it
> > starts up in the specified workspace?
> >
> > --
> > Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)
>
> Devilspie works nicely for that.
> http://www.burtonini.com/blog/computers/devilspie
>
> Once installed you will have an .xml file in your home directory.  There
> you can define which workspace you want your program to use.  In my case I
> have devilspie in my <home>/Desktop/Autostart directory as
> "startdevilspie."  Now Firefox is always in Workspace 3, OpenOffice in
> Workspace 4 and so on.

It's a very complicated way of doing something trivial isn't it?

Also can it start a number of rxvt windows (for example) in different
places?  That's my main requirement, I want three rxvt windows in
workspace 1, and one in workspace three.

It used to be possible simply to specify on the command line when you
started a program, i.e. in CDE:-

    rxvt -e "xrm *workspaceList: ws2"

would start an rxvt in workspace 2.

I will try devilspie out though, it might be what I want.  I think XML
is horrible though.

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."