(lite) distro using xfce as main/defualt gui

Myles Green rmg57 at telus.net
Thu Jul 21 14:12:53 CEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-21-07 at 11:54 +0100, Samuel Wright wrote:
> Hi All
> Are there any distros for older/earlier pcs that use XFCE as a main desktop/wm?

Hello,
To the best of my knowledge, there are none. However there is a live-cd
system, SLAX, that does have a version (Popcorn) that is xfce4 based and
AFAIK (as far as i know) can be installed to hard-drive. As far as the
suitability of xfce4 for older machines goes, it really depends on the
machine; if you have a sub 200Mhz system, say a P150 with 64MB RAM, then
IMO (in my opinion) xfce4 would be ill-suited as it would perform quite
poorly in my experience. You could get by with xfce3 or icewm easily
enough though.

As an example, I have here a P150 with 128MB RAM upon which xfce4 is
pretty much usable once it starts but I had to scavenge RAM from 3 other
systems I had laying around (all P120's). FWIW, I live in a Condo where
*everybody* knows me as "that computer geek who'll take your unwanted PC
off your hands for you" so I get quite a few older systems to 'play
with'.

Best,
Myles
--