I'm gonna kill Nautilus!

John Shane jslists at mtwafrica.org
Sat Jul 2 20:47:14 CEST 2005

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 12:17:18 +0100
Paul Tansom <paul at aptanet.com> wrote:

> OK, I started Nautilus by mistake today (clicked on an ftp link in
> Evolution) and it kicked off the whole desktop thing that it provides.
> I'd forgotten I had it installed, and because I don't have Gnome it is
> largely useless because in spite from having brought in loads of bits
> with it in terms of requirements, it still lacks chunks of
> configuration.
>
> Anyway, before I purge the thing off my system I need to repair the
> damage it has done. Basically it put a bitmap on my backdrop and refuses
> to relinquish control. I have killed the processes and restarted XFCE,
> but it appears to have modified a config file somewhere, and changing
> the XFCE settings for the background have no impact at all.
>
> Does anyone know off hand what file Nautilus will have changed/added?

Paul,  I had a similar problem recently.  The solution, as I learned here
on this list, is to start a terminal and then run the command

# xfdesktop & disown <return>

It gets xfdesktop going again and breaks the Nautilus stranglehold on your
system.  You might also want to check the list archives and get the URL for
the site that has the instructions for configuring Nautilus so that it
doesn't take over the desktop.  I thought I had those but I must not have
kept them after all. Anyway, you can them from the archives.

Rgds,  John