I'm gonna kill Nautilus!

Paul Tansom paul at aptanet.com
Fri Jul 1 15:55:38 CEST 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 08:49 -0400, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
> On 7/1/05, Paul Tansom <paul at aptanet.com> wrote:
>         OK, I started Nautilus by mistake today (clicked on an ftp
>         link in
>         Evolution) and it kicked off the whole desktop thing that it
>         provides.
>         I'd forgotten I had it installed, and because I don't have
>         Gnome it is
>         largely useless because in spite from having brought in loads
>         of bits
>         with it in terms of requirements, it still lacks chunks of
>         configuration.
>
>         Anyway, before I purge the thing off my system I need to
>         repair the
>         damage it has done. Basically it put a bitmap on my backdrop
>         and refuses
>         to relinquish control. I have killed the processes and
>         restarted XFCE,
>         but it appears to have modified a config file somewhere, and
>         changing
>         the XFCE settings for the background have no impact at all.
>
>         Does anyone know off hand what file Nautilus will have
>         changed/added?
>
> I don't have a lot of hope for this suggestion, but perhaps when
> you're leaving XFCE you're saving the session, so when you go back it
> restarts nautilus. Make sure Nautilus is good and dead, rerun
> xfdesktop, exit xfce saving the session like that.
> Other than that, I'm not sure what to suggestm because simply killing
> Nautilus seemed to work the time I did that.

Yes, killing Nautilus worked for me when I first installed it to take a
look. At that time it simply removed the icons from the desktop as well
as the background. This time however, it left the background in place. I
tried closing and restarting XFCE, but the background didn't go. Well, I
say it didn't go, to be strictly accurate the image did go, but it left
a plain black background in its place. Restarting Nautilus and playing
with the config didn't help much, simple enabled me to change the
background colour for that session.

Anyway, all is now fixed. What seems to have happened is that Nautilus
killed off the xfdesktop process, so the XFCE desktop wasn't running at
all - hence no control over backgrounds by changing the config! I've
restarted it manually and then closed down saving the session and all
appears to be fine. I'm not sure whether I closed down the first time
after killing Nautilus and saved the session or not - well, if asked I
would say I didn't save the session since that would allow me to return
to the setup I started with, but the evidence seems to indicate that
this is not the case. Either I failed to uncheck the box (or double
clicked for some odd reason) or Nautilus changed the config anyway. I at m
not so sure as I want to try it again to find out just in case it causes
more damage!

--
Paul Tansom | Aptanet Ltd. | http://www.aptanet.com/