xfdesktop not loading or overrun by Gnome

Mon Jan 31 18:20:27 CET 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 12:07 -0500, Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 11:23, Marc Schwartz wrote:
>
> > If none of the above help, then one option, to restore a default
> > configuration, is to delete the files in ~/.cache/sessions. These are
> > the session files.
> >
> > After deleting the above files, then logout of your current session and
> > do not save the session at the logout dialog. You can then login in to a
> > default session configuration and make further modifications as you
> > require.
>
> Here's an update...
>
> 1) I killed evolution-womba and evolution-alarm (happen to catch it
> while it was checking)
>
> 2) Started xfdesktop in a term window and left it open
>
> 3) In a second term window I checked to see that xfdesktop was running
> and nothing Evo-related was
>
> 4) I deleted saved sessions in ~/.cache/sessions
>
> 5) I saved the desktop upon exiting

Actually, here you did not want to save the session after deleting the
files...

You might want to recheck the processes running in a console...

If you have any lingering problems, redo these steps, but do not save
the session.

> 6) Started X again via startxfce4 (I had changed to init 3 by the time I
> tried your suggestions) and closed the two term windows, saving the
> desktop upon exiting back to console
>
> 7) Started X up again and....OK!
>
> Thanks Marc!

Happy to help.

> Now, all I need to do is get some help as to why I was having all of
> those error messages upon starting up xfdesktop. Any suggestions? :0)
>
> A very grateful Paul

Well, the error messages as I mentioned, were at least partly due to the
use of SVG images from my recollection of past posts. You might want to
try using a different theme/theme engine. These are typically hidden
during session login.

For future reference, just be careful about saving sessions at logout.
You should probably set the default to not save, by setting this in the
"Sessions and Startup Settings" Xfce configuration applet.

Marc