XFCE won't install

420djoe djoe at netcabo.pt
Mon Jan 31 13:38:10 CET 2005

Rusty Herbert Cross wrote:
> I'm installing XFCE 4.2.0 on an older computer.  An AMD-K6 with 256 Mb
> of Ram.  The OS is OpenBSD 3.6.  I ran the installer for 46.7 hours
> with no noticeable progress.

Hi Rusty.
I have XFCE 4.2 running on an AMD-K6 II with 512 Mb of Ram. The
distribuition I'm using is Gentoo (gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.9-r9).
To run XFCE with brouser, mail client, gaim and some other aplications I
don't heven use half my Ram.

> The top command reports that make was running at %96 for all 46.7
> hours, so it is not frozen as I had thought.
> Top also shows that I have plenty of RAM (150Mb free) while the OS,
> the installer, and the X system occupy 90Mb.
>
> The .xfce4.installer-log has 6 pages more than a log for a 14 hour
> install that I cancelled last week.  I want to ask this group, is
> there any anecdotal evidence that XFCE will run on a computer as old
> as this?

I also had to whait for days to get my system to compile it self, but
now it is fine.