XFCE won't install

Misu Moldovan dumol at home.ro
Mon Jan 31 09:33:56 CET 2005

Rusty Herbert Cross wrote:

[snip]

> The .xfce4.installer-log has 6 pages more than a log for a 14 hour
> install that I cancelled last week.  I want to ask this group, is
> there any anecdotal evidence that XFCE will run on a computer as old
> as this?

Couldn't resist to share my latest XFCE related experience... I've
installed 4.2 (from the os-cillation deb repository) in a Debian Sarge
UTF-8 environment that runs on a 400 Mhz Pentium II machine with 128 MB
of SDRAM, a Matrox G400 video card and a Seagate 7200.7 160 Gb hdd
(which given the circumstances tops at about 28 MB/s). It's incredibly
responsive even with a media player, a browser, a mailer and multiple
terminals running for hours (XMMS, Galeon, Balsa and Terminal).

I'm particularly amazed as I've seen faster machines crawling with a
Gnome 2.8 desktop if only 128 MB of RAM are available. By the way, the
whole distribution currently occupies about 800 MB with complete
software for my multimedia (XMMS, Mplayer, Gqview, Grip), editing
(Abiword, Gnumeric, The Gimp) and browsing needs.

Impressive!

--
Misu