xfce 4.2 'system' menu question

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sat Jan 29 00:41:46 CET 2005

Linux Tard wrote:

>I really like 4.2 - very nice!
>
>I have but one question - how to edit the system menu?

In short: you can't.

>It appears to be dynamic.  For example, I install gimp
>and it appears in the menu.  I uninstall gimp and it's
>gone.
>
>(I put menu on system panel, so I click on it, it pops
>up, and there are a number of already defined
>entries).
>
>I've used the menu editor, but that only allows
>minimal editing (or appears to).  In the menu editor
>there is a 'system' menu entry.  I'm trying to change
>this.
>
>I don't want users to see all of the things that are
>in each category.  Is there a way to manually edit
>this?  What file is it?

The only thing you can do is remove the included system menu (using the
menu editor is fine), and then use the Appfinder to find things that you
want in the menu, and drag them into the menu editor to build the menu
hierarchy that you *do* want users to see.  After you're done, it'll be
stored in ~/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml.  If you want to make your
customised menu the new system default, copy it to
$sysconfdir/xdg/xfce4/desktop/, overwriting the stock default.  Note
that if you don't want users to be able to edit their menu, you'll need
to set up Xfce's kiosk system.

>I've heard I need UTF-8 happy editor, and so I do, but
>am unsure of the file.  I'd really like to customize
>this menu.

There is currently nothing that you can edit in the file that you can't
edit via the menu editor, so, unless you really want to edit the XML
file, just use the GUI editor.

>Is it controlled by mcs-manager?   Has anyone found
>out how?

Nope.  Just a file.  See above.

    -b