Removing Window Decorations

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 16:14:01 CET 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 09:14:21 +0000, Chris Green <chris at areti.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 11:12:34AM +0530, Biju Chacko wrote:
> > Jonathan B. Horen wrote:
> > >If I understand correctly, the original poster is (like me) looking for
> > >some way to configure an application so that there is no bulky titlebar
> > >with buttons, perhaps even no border.  In my case, I have several
> > >instances of xclock in the upper-righthand corner of my workspaces,
> > >letting me quickly know what time it is out on the US West Coast, as
> > >well as in the Middle East and GMT.  I'm sure that there are other apps
> > >where this would be advantageous.  Xmms provides this capability as a
> > >built-in configuration option.
> >
> > xfwm does exactly what the application asks -- no more, no less. So if
> > you want an application to be borderless, ask the application developer
> > to give you the option.
> >
> It's not borderless one wants, it's titlebarless etc.  The title bars
> and so on are from the Window manager surely.

The short version is try devil's pie
http://www.burtonini.com/blog/computers/devilspie

Or wmctrl
http://sweb.cz/tripie/utils/wmctrl/

The long answer is that there is a standard which the Window Manager
follows for determining if a window has a titlebar, can be resized,
can be moved, is modal or not, etc, etc. This is done by properties
attatched to the windows (you can see these properties with a program
called xprop - try it, it's ships with X, so you probably already have
it).

These properties can actually be set by programs other than the one
that created the window. Because of Xfce's design (one tool, one job),
it is reasonable to not move advanced window matching features into
the WM when other apps can do the job better, without the overhead of
running for users who never access those features. Devilspie and
wmctrl both provide those features.

> --
> Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)
>
>     "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."

CAPS LOCK: ITS LIKE THE CRUISE CONTROL FOR AWESOME
-Erik